「The National Greenhouse Gases Statistics Management Committee」 finalized and announced the 「2010 Statistics of National Greenhouse Gases」, and it was verified by the Greenhouse Gas Inventory & Research Center of Korea (hereafter referred to as the "Center").
- The total amount of greenhouse gas emissions in 2010 is 669 million tons of CO2eq, and the amount of greenhouse gas emissions was increased by approximately 9.8% from the previous year due to the thermal power generation affected by heat and cold w
aves, as well as the increased amount of greenhouse gases from the steel industries.
- It was found that energy (85.3%) is the biggest emission source followed by industrial process (9.4%), agriculture (3.2%) and wastes (2.1%). While the amount of waste emissions (-1.5%) was reduced, energy (10.6%), industrial process (9.1%) and agriculture (0.4%) were increased.
- The order of the importance by each greenhouse gas would be CO2 (89.1%), CH4 (4.2%) ,SF6 (2.9%), N2O (2.1%), HFC (1.2%) and PFCs (0.4%).
The total amount of emissions and emissions per capita are increasing, and according to the data analysis, greenhouse gas emission per capita in 2010 was 13.5 (tons CO2eq / person) which was a significant increase of 9.3% from the previous year.
- The recent abnormal weather conditions including heat and cold waves increased demand for thermal power generation to operate heating and air conditioning system, and the expansion of steel industry demanded the use of electricity. These are the two reasons that contributed to the significant increase of greenhouse gases from 2009.
The plans to achieve the reduction target of 30% BAU (Business As Usual) by 2020 pledged to the international community and to commence national greenhouse gas emissions reduction from 2015 includes the followings:
- Establish a strong foundation to improve the effectiveness of GHG Target Management System enforced in 2012, and prepare a robust foundation to implement the emission trading system from 2015.
- Enhance electricity management system through various policy measures and promotion of social awareness to rationalize energy price and provide electricity at an affordable price, and modification of lifestyle to conserve energy in our daily life.
National greenhouse gas statistics included six greenhouse gases (CO2, CH4, N2O, HFCs, PFCs, SF6) from five sectors including Energy, Industrial Process, Agriculture, Waste, Land Use and Land-Use Change and Forestry(LULUCF), and four indirect greenhouse gases (NOx, CO, SO2 and etc.) from 1998 in accordance with the UNFCCC.
Statistics of this year were verified by the experts in Statistics Verification Institute, approved by the UNFCCC, in accordance with the 「2010 Guidelines for the Measurement, Reporting, and Verification of National Greenhouse Gas Statistics」 which was prepared by the 1996 IPCC Guideline.
Korea was ranked as 10th and 9th largest greenhouse gas emitter in 2008 and 2009 respectively. However, Korea is recognized as the 7th largest emitter of greenhouse gas in 2010, following China, USA, India, Russia, Japan and Germany.
- The increased amount of emissions has been reduced gradually since 1995 and the increasing rate was dropped to 2% in 2008 and 2009, but it was significantly increased to 9.1% in 2010.
Last modified : 2013-10-28 18:08
Survey of visitors' satisfaction
We would like to know how satisfied you are with our website in an attempt to provide more improved service. Please rate how satisfied you are with our website.