Nakdong River Basin Environmental Office manages the midstream and downstream areas of Nakdong River in Busan, Ulsan and South Gyeongsang(except Namhae and Hadong) region. On July 1, 1980, the office was renamed to Busan Environmental Assessment and Management Office and was reorganized and expanded to Nakdong River Basin Environmental Office in August 2002, in an effort to strengthen the monitoring function for watershed environmental management. In February 2006, three divisions were newly established to intensify the monitoring functions on chemicals, environmental impact assessment. Currently, the organization includes 2 Bureaus, 11 Divisions, 1 Patrol Squad.
With the establishment of the basic plan of water environmental management of Nakdong river areas following the comprehensive measures on water quality management of Nakdong river as well as the introduction advanced watershed management system, the water quality of the Nakdong river has gradually improved as shown in the case of water quality Mulgeum area at 2 grade even if the area is located in the downstream of the river.
In addition, the office has been developing environmental policies that fit to the regional characteristics, in order to actively pursue the government's low carbon and green growth policy, striving to create a pleasant local environment and healthy living conditions through launching campaign to integrate low carbon living into people's daily lives and intensifying public awareness.
- July 1980
- Establishment of Busan Environmental Assessment Management Office
- May 1983
- (Total Staff: Increased from 5 to 33)
- December 1986
- Reorganization as Busan Branch Office of environmental Management (Staff: 67)
- January 1990
- Title change to Busan Regional Environmental Management Office and Establishment of Ulsan Environmental Branch Office
- July 1991
- Movement of the government office to Sinwol-dong Changwon-si from Busan, and Establishment of Busan Environmental Branch Office.
- July 1992
- Integration of Ulsan and Busan Environmental Branch Offices to Dongbu Branch of Busan Environmental Office.
- October 1995
- Establishment of Ulsan Environmental Branch Office.
- November 1997
- Abolishment of Changwon Environmental Branch Office.
- April 2001
- Movement of Nakdong river Watershed Management Office (Busan → Changwon) and Establishment of Busan Environmental Branch Office.
- April 2002
- Launching Nakdong River Watershed Management Committee.
- August 2002
- Establishment of Nakdong River Basin Environmental Watershed Management Office, Staff Increase: 115 to 128. (2 Bureaus, 8 Divisions, 1 Patrol Squad, and 2 Branch Offices)
- March 2004
- Total Staff: 128 to 130
- March 2005
- Movement of Ulsan Environmental Branch Office (230-5 Seobu-ri, Eonyang-eup, Ulju-gun, Ulsan)
- February 2006
- Total Staff: 130 to 146 (2 Bureaus, 11 Divisions, 1 Patrol Squad, and 2 Branch Offices)
- March 2007
- Total Staff: 146 to 147
- February 2009
- Abolishment of Busan and Ulsan Environmental Branch Offices.
Total Staff : 147 to 139
|division ||Areas Covered |
|Nakdong River Basin Environmental Office ||2 Metropolitan Cities, 1 Province ⇒ 39 Local municipalities (11,302㎢) |
|Busan Metropolitan City ||15 gus 1 guns |
|Ulsan Metropolitan City ||4 gus, 1-guns |
|South Gyeongsang Province (Except Namhae, Hadong) ||10 cities, 8-guns |
|※Environmental Patrol Squad: Included the districts under the Daegu Regional Management Office's jurisdiction (Daegu Metropolitan City, North Gyeongsang Province, Taebaek city in Gangwon Province (32,280㎢). |
|Nakdong River Watershed Management Committee ||3 -metropolitan cities, 5-provinces ⇒ 54 city, gun, gu areas (23,817㎢) |
|Busan Metropolitan City ||5 gus |
|Ulsan Metropolitan City ||1 gun |
|Daegu Metropolitan City ||7 gus 1 gun |
|South Gyeongsang Province ||7 cities 9 guns |
|North Gyeongsang Province ||10 cities 11guns |
|Gangwon Province ||1 city |
|South Jeolla Province ||1 city |
|North Jeolla Province ||1 city |
Organizations and Telephone Number
- General Affairs Division - TEL +82-55-211-1613
- Environmental Management Division - TEL +82-55-211-1638
- Natural Environment Division - TEL +82-55-211-1650
- Environmental Impact Assessment Division - TEL +82-55-211-1662
- Chemicals Management Division -TEL +82-55-211-1682
- Monitoring and Analysis Division - TEL +82-55-211-1693
- Watered Planning Division - TEL +82-55-211-1710
- Finance and Planning Division - TEL +82-55-211-1723
- Water Source Management Division - TEL +82-55-211-1735
- Total Maximum Daily Load Management Division - TEL +82-55-211-1751
- Regional Cooperation Division - TEL +82-55-211-1767
- Environmental Inspection and Investigation Team - TEL +82-55-211-1605
- Namhae Expressway(Toward Mt. Bukbu) → Kimhae → Naejeong I.C toward Changwon, Jangyu → Changwon tunnel → Changwon Boulevard → Provincial Office
- Namhae Expressway(Toward Mt. Seobu) → Garak→ Jangyu IㆍC Toward Changwon → Changwon tunnel → Changwon Boulevard → Provincial Office
- Namhae Expressway(Seobu Gyeongnam) → East Masan IㆍC Turn Right toward → Changwon Boulevard → Provincial Office
- ※ Parking Facilities: Nakdong River Basin Environmental Office Parking Lot
By Public Transportation
- Take No. 704, 707, 752, 100, 101, 110, 111, 114, 116, 122, 210, 211, 214, 150, 502, 505, 507, 58, 59, 97, 98 Buses in Changwon, Masan areas and Take off at the South Gyeongsang Provincial Office.
Address and Telephone
- Zip Code)641-722 150 Jungang-ro, Changwon city (104-3 Sinwol-dong)
- Tel: +82-55-211-1613~20
- Fax : +82-55-211-1629